Saturday 6 February 2016

Marathon Training: Gale force winds and running playlists

I cannot run without music.  At first I would listen to music to drown out the sound of my breathing, and I also get ear pain from the cold without ear protection.  But most of all, music spurs me on.  It's what keeps me going throughout those long runs.  Over the weeks I have put together a running playlist that helps me through each mile.

Here are my top ten running tracks:
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Madness - Baggy Trousers
Bowling For Soup - Stacy's Mom
Armin van Buuren feat. Mr. Probz - Another You
Hadouken! - M.A.D
Martin Garrix & Tiësto - The Only Way Is Up
Hardwell & Armin van Buuren - Off The Hook
Calvin Harris - Outside ft. Ellie Goulding
Panic! At The Disco - Time To Dance
Sub Focus - Tidal Wave ft. Alpines

This week has been pretty good for running.  I am feeling motivated, I feel like my body is changing for the better and the cold weather doesn't phase me so much.

Monday 25th January
Monday was a rest day.  I booked my first half marathon for 2 weeks time.  Eeeeekkkkk!!!!

Tuesday 26th January
I was so pleased with my achievements on Tuesday.  I went for an early afternoon run.  I had to battle through gale force winds, rain, hills and my painful knee but I got through it and managed 8 miles.  The furthest I had ever ran.  I completed this a little slower than I would have liked, I ran the 8 miles in 1 hour 23 minutes.  But the main thing is, I did it.  I even had a one hour pole dancing session in the evening.  My knee was ok until it started playing up between the 6th to 8th mile, it is so annoying but it is so much better!!

Wednesday 27th January
Today was rest day, I was in between night shifts and I needed that rest!

Image Source


Thursday 28th January
On Thursday morning I finished my night shift at 8.30am, had some breakfast, went home.  By 9am I was dressed and ready to go for a run. Six months ago if you had asked me to go for a run after a twelve hour night shift I would have laughed in your face.  But I actually did it! I just did 3.35 miles in 31 minutes and 53 seconds.  I'll admit, it was difficult.  I was knackered and in the first mile I totally regretted going for that run.  After the third mile I felt great and was glad I did it!

Friday 29th - Sunday 31st January
I was supposed to go for a 10 mile run on Saturday, but I didn't get time in between my pay day shopping and having friends over in the evening.  On Sunday I was working all day and told myself I would go for a run in the evening.  But Saturday night ended up being a very late one, I got three hours sleep before work, and work was super busy.  I was exhausted when I got home so went straight to bed.  Oops.  It is difficult to balance all this training in between working and life.

I use the Nike Running app.



My feelings on running this week
I hate running.
Running in the rain isn't as bad as it looks.
Running in the ice isn't as bad as you think it will be.
Running in the wind is far worse than you can imagine.
I hate running.
I feel smug when I run past people huddled up in their warm coats waiting for the bus.
Running can be exhilarating.
I quite like running, sometimes.
Does running make your waist smaller?  I haven't lost any weight since I started this marathon training, however my waist has definitely shrunk.  It's flatter.  I am not complaining though... LIFE GOALS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Any comments are appreciated :)