Sunday 24 January 2016

Marathon Training: Gloves, sore knees and frozen lungs

Anyone who knows me knows that I do not run.  Take me to a dance studio or give me a set of weights any day.  But running?  No, I don't do that.  Alas, I am running the London marathon in April so I have no choice but to run.

Now the marathon is drawing closer, it's on my mind more and more.  So I have decided to do a weekly blog post to keep you all updated on my marathon training.

I have been having problems with my knee since October due to a leg injury from ten years ago.  I only started seeing someone about my knee in January, it is now getting better and I am starting to up the training.

Image Source


Monday 18th January
I'd had an appointment on Saturday and the osteopath had told me that my knee was getting better, however when I went for a run later on that day my knee was not feeling much better.  However on the Monday afternoon I went for a 4 mile run, it took me 40 minutes and was in fact the longest I had run in months (I had previously been unable to run more than 3 miles due to knee pain).  I experienced barely any pain until the end of my run.  Could it be that my knee was finally getting better?!

Tuesday 19th January
This day was a rest day.  I was used to my knee aching on the day after a run, but this day, no pain and no ache.

Wednesday 20th January
I decided to go for a run after work.  I hate running in the dark, and this evening was cold and icy.  I hated the first two miles. But then got really into it and managed to achieve 5 miles in 49 minutes.  I did not realise how icy and cold it was getting until I stopped at a traffic light and noticed how the pavement was sparkling with ice and I could see my warm breath in the cold air.  I got home and saw that the temperature was actually minus one.  This was my favourite run of the whole week.

Image Source


Thursday 21st January
Thursday was my pole dancing class.  Again no aches or pains in my knee.  Brilliant!!

Friday 22nd January
Another day, another run.  I went for my run late afternoon and managed a great 6.4 miles in 1 hour 7 minutes.  I was so proud of myself.  This was the furthest I had ran since October! I had a couple of knee aches and slight twinges but nothing too major.

Saturday 23rd January
Another osteopath appointment, I couldn't wait to discuss the great news of my knee getting better!! She said it was coming along well and to go back in 2 weeks time.

Sunday 24th January
When I set out running today I wasn't sure how far I was going to run.  I got really into it after the first 3 miles and decided that I was going to go for 7 miles.  I can do it!! Or so I thought.  Into the fifth mile I could really feel the knee pain but I willed myself to go on but the pain got more intense and my running got slower and slower and I finally had to stop.  I managed 5.9 miles in 1 hour.

Image Source


Tomorrow is a rest day and I will go for another run on Tuesday, I hope the pain will not be as intense on Tuesday!  However 6 miles is a great achievement, I could barely run 3 miles 2 weeks ago!

Things I have learnt this week

  • Running in the cold hurts.  Not only does it hurt your fingers, your nose and your face.  It hurts your lungs.  Your lungs physically turn to ice, or so it feels.
  • Wearing gloves helps, it really really helps.  Especially for someone who always has cold hands.  Apart from when your hands get too hot, you take off the gloves and have no where to put them, and then stuff them down your bra.
  • I have more energy in the evening.  Running in the day time is great, it's a good feeling knowing that I have accomplished a run before an evening shift at work.  But I always tire too quickly in the day time, I can run faster in the evening and for longer.
  • People are rude.  I swear people step in front of me on purpose when I'm out of breath and unable to stop.  Especially bratty little school kids.
  • But then my faith in people is restored when they stop to let me past, or they stop their car so I can cross the road without having to stop running.  I like these people.
  • Metallica is great running music.
All in all, a great week for my marathon training.  I cannot wait to see what next week brings!

I am running for the amazing charity Whizz Kidz, if you would like to sponsor me, you can do so here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. Any comments are appreciated :)